Finance Manager - Manufacturing Accounting
Company: Armstrong World Industries
Posted on: August 4, 2022
Primary location: Chicago, Illinois
Relocation offered: No
Employment status: Full-Time
The estimated base salary range for this role is "$82,100 to
$141,350" per year.
Individual pay is based upon location, skills and expertise,
experience and other relevant factors
What does it mean to work at Armstrong?
It means being immersed in a supportive culture that recognizes you
as a key player in Armstrong's future. We are a large company with
a local feel, where you will get to know and collaborate with
leadership and your colleagues across the company.
By joining us, you'll have the opportunity to make the most of your
potential. Alongside a competitive remuneration package, you will
A benefits package including: medical, dental, prescription drug,
life insurance, 401k match, long-term disability coverage, vacation
and sick time and many more.
Personal development to grow your career with us based on your
strengths and interests.
A working culture that balances individual achievement with
teamwork and collaboration. We draw on each other's strengths and
allow for different work styles to build engagement and
satisfaction to deliver results.
Reporting to the Director, Finance, Architectural Specialties (AS),
the Finance Manager is responsible for all finance and accounting
aspects of the plant, partnering with the Business Management Team
to drive revenue growth, manufacturing performance and return on
investments required to meet financial objectives. Key areas of
focus for the Finance Manager include strong leadership skills,
ensuring compliance and internal controls are in place in
accordance with company policies, job costing, monthly performance
analysis, budget and forecast development, and support and analysis
of cost reduction initiatives. The incumbent manages and oversees
the entire accounting/finance process for the complete Turf
P&L, which includes the Gilberts, Elgin, and Chicago
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other
duties may be assigned.
- Partners with plant sales and operational leadership to drive
scalable, profitable growth.
- Develops tools to deliver insights into plant profitability,
cost performance and return on investments.
- Engages in proactive employee development initiatives to
enhance the skillset and effectiveness of direct reports.
- Completes all aspects of the plant month-end closing &
- Analyzes results and provides comprehensive insights for
variances to various benchmarks including budget, forecast, and
- Proactively identifies and drives process improvement
initiatives to increase efficiency of finance function.
- Prepares and develops the annual plant budget, including
development of projected revenues, standard costs, manufacturing
period expense and SG&A expenses.
- Develops standard monthly forecasts based on production drivers
and key performance metrics.
- Supports the business in generating and quantifying cost
- Provides oversight to the individuals responsible for A/P, A/R,
- Works with Capital Projects Manager to ensure accounting
software reflects the same spend as the capital cost book.
- Provides financial analysis to business leadership, Internal
Audit, and external auditors as requested.
- Implements key internal controls in accordance with company
- Maintains a documented system of accounting policies and
procedures, specific to Turf ERP.
- Manages new item setup and item updates.
- Manages inventory control and reconciliation, including
reviewing or auditing the adherence to monthly and annual count
procedures and assisting with the annual physical inventory.
- Manages fixed asset control and reconciliation, including
assistance with fixed asset physical inventory counts.
- Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal government
Supervisory Responsibilities: Manages a team of 2-3 Accounting
Travel: Minimal; Less than 5%
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
- Ability to analyze and forecast revenue, operational costs, and
- Proven operational leadership skills in implementing and
supporting innovative ideas.
- Demonstrated ability to link and analyze manufacturing metrics
to financial performance.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and organizational
- Capable of working independently and managing multiple
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with
the ability to share knowledge at appropriate levels of the
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills including the
ability to interact comfortably and respectfully with all levels of
plant and corporate personnel.
- Customer focused with strong attention to detail and capable of
delivering accurate, quality results in a timely, consistent, and
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills.
The physical requirements described here are representative of
those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to
stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with
hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb
or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must
frequently lift and move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and
move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this
job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral
vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job.
- Office Environment - This position operates in a professional
office environment and is not exposed to adverse environmental
conditions. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such
as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax
machines. No PPE is required.
- Plant Environment - This position operates in a manufacturing
setting and can be subject to extreme cold and hot temperatures;
uneven walking surfaces with cords, tools, and other obstacles;
intermittent loud noises; and dusty or dirty conditions. Required
PPE includes hard hat (when required), safety glasses, earplugs,
steel toe/composite boots, and fall protection.
Education and/or Experience
- BS in Accounting or Finance, required. MBA preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in an accounting/finance role
- Demonstrated experience managing a team of accounting/finance
- Manufacturing cost experience required.
- 3+ years of experience as a plant controller in a manufacturing
- Experience using NetSuite, OneStream, or similar ERP system,
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant
- See Professional (Grade 7-14) competencies
Other Skills and Abilities
Why should you join Armstrong World Industries?
Armstrong World Industries (AWI) is a leader in the design and
manufacture of innovative commercial and residential ceiling, wall
and suspension system solutions in the Americas. With approximately
$1B in revenue, AWI has about 2,800 employees and a manufacturing
network of fifteen facilities in the US and Canada.
At home, at work, in healthcare facilities, classrooms, stores, or
restaurants, we offer interior solutions that help to enhance
comfort, save time, improve building efficiency and overall
performance, and create beautiful spaces.
For more than 150 years, we have built our business on trust and
integrity. It set us apart then, and it sets us apart now, along
with our ability to collaborate with and innovate for the people
we're here to serve - our customers, our shareholders, our
communities and our employees.
We are committed to developing new and sustainable ceiling
solutions, with design and performance possibilities that make a
positive difference in spaces where we live, work, learn, heal and
play. It's an exciting, rewarding business to be in, and we're
committed to continue to grow and prosper for the benefit of all of
our stakeholders. We hope you join us.
Our Sustainability Ambition
"Bringing our Purpose to Life" - lead a transformation in the
design and building of spaces fit for today and tomorrow.
We are committed to:
- Engaging a diverse, purpose-driven workforce;
- Transforming buildings from structures that shelter into
structures that serve and preserve the health and well-being of
people and planet;
- Pursuing sustainable, innovative solutions for spaces where we
live, work, learn heal and play;
- Being a catalyst for change..... click apply for full job
Keywords: Armstrong World Industries, Cicero , Finance Manager - Manufacturing Accounting, Accounting, Auditing , Cicero, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!